Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Glog - Seamens Sums

Here is a guest blog from Ward 4. The first entry is purportedly from a Ward 4 resident. The second entry is from city councilmember Terry Seamens. Both are responding to my question below.

- Gilbert


Specifically, to what do you attribute
Seth's winning vote in Ward 4?


------------Anonymous writes--------------

What happen on Maple avenue. We tired to be ignored. We want new mayor who listen. People not safe on street. Not safe at homes. Drug everywhere and police nothing. Mayor group fight hospital. We need hosptial. Rich house owners fight hospital out of Takoma Park to protect money. Takoma Park. Nobody care us. We work much jobs and not afford anything. Tell Kieth not talk for poor. He mayor win but he know nothing about poor. Go look mirror and talk self. Go count you money. I talk for me.

- Anonymous

------------Terry Seamens writes--------------


I see two possibilities:

First, I openly supported Seth while campaigning in Ward 4. Seth's promised new approach sounds like an improvement. I based my decision on what the candidates said about themselves and their plans, rather than what the candidates or their supporters said about the opposition.

Second, the City government has done little to address the top priorities of Ward 4, such as traffic and drug law enforcement. There's a perception of preferential treatment of other Wards. Some attribute it to racism. Some to other reasons. Most see a gross disparity.

I was elated to see the strong voter turnout in Ward 4, and will work to double it for 2007. I promise Ward 4 residents that participation in the system will produce results. It's a hard sell, but I believe we're making progress.

Those who say they wish Takoma Park had stronger participation from a broader cross-section of residents can help by supporting some of the Ward 4 requests. I realize that may be hard to understand the views of people who live very different lives than our own. Still, I think if we prime the pump with a little support, some of the skeptics will start to believe a little more in the system, and take the time to participate more. I will strive to do better this term in bringing the necessary changes to the Ward.

Just to illustrate how some of my constituents' lives' are different from most people I see coming to the Council meetings, here's an example. Today, a constituent asked me for help, because their landlord raised the price for the use of washers and dryers by 25 cents. That sure wouldn't be a noticeable impact on my budget, but some residents in the building say they will have to wash some of their cloths in their bathtub, because of the increase. They asked one resident to approach me for help.

<1>
Generally, does the council form into
pro-and anti-Porter factions? What
will be the effect, do you think, of
having Seth's ally Colleen Clay on
the council?



Obviously, any new person on the Council adds a new dynamic. I expect Colleen to be a fully engaged Council member, well informed about the subjects, prepared for the meetings, willing to consider other's viewpoints, and strong enough to stand for her beliefs, even when she stands alone. I think the Council will continue to fully discuss issues, and disagree on occasion. I expect the disagreements to be issue-based, rather than personality-based. I also expect Mayor Porter will learn from this election and do an even better job over the coming two years.

- Terry Seamens

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please say more about drug enforcement in Ward 4.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm skeptical about the "pidgin" comment that leads this section. It seems clearly inauthentic to me--kind of like Indians in 1950s westerns. So I am led to wonder who would fake being a non-native speaker of English, and why.

The suspicions it raises increases my distrust of oppositional politics in this city. I saw a lot of deception this election by supporters of Seth (though not so much from Seth himself), and the fake message from a "Ward 4 resident" is just the icing on a nasty cake.

Kathy was the only choice after it became clear that at least her supporters are not a bunch of wingnuts (ok, a few are--but there are more flakes in Seth's camp). Do we really want a coalition of seething axe-grinders as our mayor's political base? Kathy is boring, but that worked in her favor this time.

Maybe next time someone with vision AND common sense AND inclusiveness will run. We DO need someone new.

Joe

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home